Goto previous pageGoto next page
pg. 31

Connecticut Laws | Title 13a Highways And Bridges
Sec. 13a-126. Readjustment, relocation or removal of public service facilities for highway construction.

e conclusive upon both parties. (461)

Sec. 13a-126a. Regulation of public service facility installations along state highway rights-of-way for aesthetic purposes. (462)(Text)

Notwithstanding the provisions of any other statute, the Commissioner of Transportation may, for the purpose of protecting the functional or aesthetic characteristics of any state highway or state highway appurtenance, promulgate regulations for the location and installation of any public service facility within, on, along, over or under the right-of-way of any state highway or state highway appurtenance and, when necessary to insure the protection of the aesthetic characteristics of any state highway, within, on, along, over or under the right-of-way of any other public highway; provided no such regulation shall limit, restrict or derogate from any power, right or authority of the Department of Public Utility Control as provided by statute in respect to the location and installation of such public service facilities. The state shall pay the additional cost of any location, relocation, installation, adjustment or readjustment of any public service facility made necessary by such regulations. (463)

Sec. 13a-126b. Agreements with public service facility operators for revision of plans of proposed installation. (464)(Text)

The Commissioner of Transportation is authorized, when in his opinion it would be in the best interest of the state, to enter into an agreement with the owner or operator of a public service facility, as defined in section 13a-126, for the revision, by the owner or operator, of the plans for any proposed public service facility installation when such installation is to be constructed prior to planned highway construction and readjustment or relocation of such installation would be required by the planned highway construction. The added cost of rights-of-way and construction of the public service facility resulting from such revision in plans shall, if the proposed public service facility would have been located within an existing state highway, be paid in accordance with said section 13a-126, or if the proposed public service facility would not have been located within an existing state highway, be paid from appropriations made to the commissioner. (465)

Sec. 13a-126c. Longitudinal use of highway right-of-way by public service utility. (466)(Text)

Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, the Commissioner of Transportation may enter into an agreement with the owner or operator of a public service facility, as defined in section 13a-126, desiring the longitudinal use of the right-of-way of a state highway to accommodate trunkline or transmission-type utility facilities and to fix the terms, conditions and rates and charges for use of such right-of-way; provided, no such agreement shall exempt a public service facility from the provisions of chapter 277a. In the case of public service companies, as defined in subdivision (1) of subsection (a) of section 16-1, such charges or rates shall not exceed the actual administrative, construction, operation and maintenance costs of the department incurred as a result of the public service company's use of a nonlimited access state highway. The department may estimate such charges or rates and require prepayment of such charges or rates, provided any amount in excess of the actual amount shall be refunded to the public service company. (467)

Sec. 13a-127. Utility lines on certain bridges. (468)(Text)

The commissioner is authorized to contract with any person, partnership, association or corporation, desiring the use of the project authorized by section 13a-32, the Gold Star Memorial Bridge or the Old Lyme and Old Saybrook Bridge, or the appurtenances and approaches or any part of such project or bridges, for placing thereon water, steam, gas or oil pipelines, telephone, telegraph, electric light or power lines, or for any other purpose, and to fix the terms, conditions and rates and charges for such use. (469)

Sec. 13a-128. Discontinuance or alteration of highways in watershed. (470)(Text)

When any municipal or private corporation, engaged in providing or authorized to provide a water supply for any town, city or borough, deems it necessary that any public highway or part thereof shall be discontinued or altered in order to enable it to construct or enlarge a reservoir or to promote or carry out its authorized purposes in other respects in providing a pure and ample supply of water, it may apply to the selectmen of any town in which such part of such highway is located for such discontinuance or alteration. Such municipal or private corporation shall give twelve days' notice of such application by publication in a newspaper published in the town or towns where such highways are located, and shall file, twelve days before such application, with the town clerk, a map showing the highways to be discontinued or altered. If such selectmen or any town denies such application or declines for thirty days to act upon it, such municipal or private corporation may petition the superior court for the judicial district in which such town is located, setting forth the facts in relation thereto and that such discontinuance or alteration is a matter of public convenience and necessity. (471)

Sec. 13a-129. Court procedure. Estimate of damages. Appeal. (472)(Text)

Upon twelve days' notice of such petition to such town or towns and to all owners of land abutting on such highways and to such other persons as the court orders, served and returned in the same manner as in civil process, said court shall hear and decide such petition and, upon finding the allegations to be true, shall grant the discontinuance or alteration of such highways, prescribing in its judgment any modifications of such discontinuance or alteration requested in such petition, or any layout of a new highway or highways in lieu thereof, as said court deems to be required by public convenience and necessity. Said court shall, in such judgment, appoint a committee of three disinterested persons to make a survey and layout in accordance with such judgment and, upon such notice to the parties in interest as the court orders, to estimate the damages sustained by any person and to report in writing their actions to said court. Upon acceptance of such report by said court and payment of damages by the petitioner to the parties found to be entitled thereto or deposit of the same in said court for their use, such discontinuance, alteration or new layout shall become effectual, and the applicant shall immediately construct such highway as altered or laid out, at its own expense and in the manner determined by said court, and shall cause a certified copy of such judgment and of the report of such committee as accepted to be recorded in the land records of each town in which any part of such highway so discontinued, altered or laid out is situated. Appeal from the judgment granting such petition or from the judgment of the court accepting such report may be taken by any party in interest in the same manner as is prescribed by law for appeals in civil actions. (473)

Goto previous page31Goto next page


Our Mission

Our mission is to provide citizens free access to the laws and codes of their state utilizing a unique search engine that matches clients with qualified legal professionals who can help with specific issues.

Our goal is to do this in a manner that promotes open government and freedom of information, while providing attorneys with valuable tools to connect with qualified prospects in need of professional services.

Ignorance Is No Excuse
Your Right To Know The Law

All citizens have a right to have access to the laws that govern them. Citizen awareness and participation in government is fundamental to ensuring a sound democracy.

Although unfettered access to the law is a fundamental right to all citizens, there is no substitute for experienced legal counsel.

We do not recommend self-representation. We do, however, recognize that in an age where people routinely research legal matters online using everything from a smartphone to their xbox, both attorneys and clients alike can benefit from this resource.